Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Swimming counting software

Swimming counting software

What is this!? an obsolete idea maybe, old, but in the old good times was a good one...

Some years ago when I had a problem in my knee (injured) so I had to go to swim for rehabilitation... - also is one of  the best sports to avoid new injuries!-.., after going multiple times to swim and swim I had the problem that I always lost the count of how many pools I did! 
Usually when I do something repetitive during long time (>30min) my mind start thinking in different stuff, and there is where my problem appears: thinking and counting is complicated. 
So I though how can I go swim, and don't torture myself repeating the counting and being afraid of lost the count XD! so how can I swim peacefully + think (or not) at the same time? (note that not thinking is maybe more complicated...!). Obviously having one person looking at me swimming for one hour is not an option :). 

So the idea was: what happen if you put some cameras on the pool and a lovely machine do the counting for you (and for all the other people in the swimming pool!). Not only the counting but also statistics about velocity, time, distance, etc, per day / week / month / year / after life?, sending this reports by email as well or whatever.

Obviously the software exists for professional sports and not only swimming, but what about of using some of these free / open tracking systems, create the soft and then just sell it to all the swimming pools so they can provide an additional service to their clients??!!

There are some things to take into account like how link a person from the moment he/she logging to the system until he/she ask for statistics?... But from what I remember, when we discuss this with the group of friends that we was thinking to work on the idea, everything had a solution :), but nobody had time, specially me :(.

Well, hope someone want to do it and sell it to all the swimming pools so next time we can swim without counting :). Or maybe now exists some hand-clock or an android app with a water resistant phone that do all this automatically, so this post is completely obsolete and useless.

Salu!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I know that there is a Garmin wristwatch that counts this, and I think it also track speed an distance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha there are a lot of devices I think, but when we thought in this, that kind of stuff were expensive, with the cameras are free for the client :p. Anyway is maybe obsolete haha

    ReplyDelete